A History of the Proctor YMCA and Sutherland Club written by Mary H. Fregosi, opens with the origin of the “Y” in 1903, with the assistance of the Vermont Marble Company.
Based on raising worthy young men, it provided education, living space, and clubs to achieve those ends. In 1919 the “Y” joined forces with the Sutherland Club adding sports leagues to provide physical in addition to mental development.
The following decades of Depression, War, Societal changes, and the physical deterioration of the facilities brought increasingly smaller attendance. Ultimately this brought about its closure in 1953.